History of the Organization
The Association for Pennsylvania Municipal Management is an organization of professional township, borough, city, home-rule and county managers, administrators and COG directors.
It was founded in the late 1940’s, when a group of professional management pioneers recognized the broad array of common needs and goals of municipal management professionals. This group of forerunners decided that a statewide organization of managers needed to be formed for the benefit of all. Thus, their foresight and dedication paved the way for the growth of the council-manager form of government and the inception of the Association which for many years was known as the Association of Pennsylvania Municipal Managers. In 1986 the name of the Association was changed to the Association for Pennsylvania Municipal Management (APMM). The new name signified a broadening of interests and a shift away for being an association of "city managers" in the traditional sense. The new emphasis is to meet the needs of professional municipal managers and administrators.
During its initial years, the Association was able to organize and provide services only on an informal and volunteer basis. In the early 1980’s, APMM executed its first agreement to secure secretariat services from the Pennsylvania Municipal League (PML). Through this relationship, APMM acquired the staff capability to substantially increase its capacity to serve its members. The growth and success of membership, training and various forms of service and assistance have contributed to the development of the Association. APMM is now recognized as the principal advocate for municipal management in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and a resource for professional assistance.
In 1982, the Association became a nonprofit corporation and as such is strictly a non-partisan, non-political instrumentality of its members.